Doodle Tac-Toe: An Artsy Twist to a Classic Game!

My students and I LOVE drawing games! The same company that brought us Whatchmadrawit, now brings us Doodle Tac-Toe!  Instead of using the standard X’s and O’s, players are prompted to mark the grid with simple, creative doodles. In this way, students can practice mini drawings of everyday things. They can also see how others may interpret these simple drawing prompts.  One player’s flower may not look like another’s idea of a flower.

FullSizeRender

You can use Doodle Tac-Toe in so many ways!

1. Use it as a warm-up.
It never hurts to start an art class off with some doodling.  Get hands and imaginations warmed-up!

2. Play it as a ‘getting to know’ or social skills activity.
Help students break the ice with this fun, no-pressure game.  (They already know the rules!) Encourage them to observe how other students decide to draw familiar objects.  They can also work on strategy and sportsmanship.

3. Have it as a center rotation.
Students love rotating through centers.  Centers are also perfect sub plans!

4. Use it as an imagination booster.
You could challenge students to create their own doodle duels.  Or even turn it into an art history game like, Warhol soup cans versus Thiebaud cakes!

5. Add it to your extended art activities.
We always need art activities as our students complete their projects at different paces.  This is perfect!

Each box includes 50 duel suggestions, 2 colored pencils, and a tic-tac-toe pad.

I know I’ll use Doodle Tac-Toe for the activities above, but what are some other ideas you can think of?  Add yours in the comments below!

Alecia Eggers Kaczmarek

Subscriber

Alecia is an elementary art teacher in central Iowa who is passionate about teaching and reaching her students with an innovative and meaningful arts education.

• Mr. Post

My fifth graders love this idea. One of the assignments I give them is to create a tic-tac-toe board in clay. They make the game board and all of the playing pieces. They roll a slab for the base and then they have to come up with a theme for the board. I do this right after we make clay bowls. That way I can fire all of their tic-tac-toe board pieces inside of their bowls. Some of the more memorable game pieces have included – bananas/monkeys, high heels/flip flops, cars/motorcycles and flowers/bees. After all of the game boards and playing pieces are finished, we have a big tic-tac-toe tournament in art class.

• Alecia Eggers

Mr. Post, I love this application! I will definitely consider this for my next clay unit! Thank you for the idea.

• Diana

Hi Alecia,
    These games look great but what do you suggest when there’s only 5-10 minutes left and some have finished and others are still working? For grades k-5 ……..I’m considering Brain Breaks and post it note exit tickets for “what stuck with you?” What activities have you used?

• Hi Diana- Brain Breaks and post it exit tickets sound like a great idea. With 5-10 minutes left, sometimes I would have students either choose to help with an art job or read a book from the classroom library. Other ideas include pulling those kids who are finished to the carpet to read a story. As other students finish, they can come join the story.

• Diana

Thank you Amana. I have done those things except pulling a small group to carpet. Good idea! And I think I’ll make a posted list where kids refer to: ” I’m finished….. What Can I Do?”