Today we are excited to announce a brand new AOE class — Studio: Printmaking!
If you are getting an MFA in printmaking, you can expect all the great equipment, presses, and tricky chemicals readily available to assist you with any type of print you want. However, you are an art teacher, and teaching printmaking in the classroom looks a lot different. Intaglio prints are great, but you aren’t going to be using acid with your students any time soon. If you teach elementary, you might rely heavily on foam printing. High School teacher? Perhaps you are stuck on linoleum prints. There are so many other advanced options to explore.
This first-of-its-kind online Studio Graduate Course will break down various printmaking processes that you can use with your students at any age level without fancy equipment. We’ll also cover developmentally appropriate information, including safety tips. You will try out various monoprint techniques, image transfers, traditional and nontraditional linocuts, collagraphs, and many other unique and alternative processes –no printing press or chemicals necessary.
As you create useful tools and finished pieces for the classroom, you will also learn how to break printmaking skills down for your students in a developmentally appropriate way and revamp your printmaking curriculum from the inside-out!
Learn more about this class from AOE Founder, Jessica Balsley:
All AOE Studio courses are taught by art educators, experienced in a wide variety of printmaking techniques. All of the demonstrations are given by art educator experts. This is a “teacher to teacher” class where you won’t need to make connections to the classroom, wonder about safety, or feel isolated. This is a studio class JUST for art teachers.
You may be wondering:
How does an online studio class work?
- Each assignment will involve research and new learning through original video-based demonstrations.
- Each assignment will involve a classroom connection, helping you bring the various mediums into your own art room.
- Each assignment will also involve you CREATING something, and documenting your process for both personal and educational use in the classroom.
Trade in your textbook for a list of art supplies as you create, and earn Professional Development or Graduate credit in an online studio setting!
As a student in the AOE Studio Printmaking Class, you will….
- Create a wide variety of prints while experimenting with new techniques.
- Learn from art educators and printmaking experts from around the country who understand the challenges of teaching printmaking to students.
- Create resources, tools, and hands-on printmaking examples to use directly in the classroom.
- Research best practice in the management and the organization of teaching printmaking.
- Push your own personal practice to the next level, while revamping your printmaking curriculum.
For a complete breakdown of each week’s assignments and to see a sample assignment, head on over to the Printmaking page and learn more about the enrollment dates, costs, and logistics of this brand new AOE Class!
Enrollment for this 3 – credit studio graduate class is open NOW, and the class will run for the first time November 1st- December 31st.
Seats will fill fast!
Enrollment is open, sign up today!
Magazine articles and podcasts are opinions of professional education contributors and do not necessarily represent the position of the Art of Education University (AOEU) or its academic offerings. Contributors use terms in the way they are most often talked about in the scope of their educational experiences.