Sick of Grading Weekly Sketchbooks? Try This!

It’s easy to get overwhelmed with grading when you give students a sketchbook assignment every week. For me, 5 classes of 30 kids each meant about 150 sketchbooks sitting there waiting to be graded every Thursday. Even though I believe strongly in the value of sketchbooks, the volume of grading was almost enough to make me want to give up the assignments. I knew I had to make a change.

I decided to get organized and cut back at the same time. My kids now get a checklist of assignments that are due, put those assignments together, and turn them in once every three weeks. These checklists have saved me an immeasurable amount of time, making grading both easier and less frequent. Watch the video below to get all the details.

Click below to download a sample checklist. Or, click here for a customizable version!

Click for free download!
Click for free download!

Looking for even more sketchbook goodness? Check out this list of 100 Sketchbook Prompts Your Students Will Love!

How often do you grade sketchbook assignments?

Do you have a great system for assigning and grading sketchbooks?

Timothy Bogatz

Learning Team

Tim is a high school teacher from Omaha, NE. His teaching and writing focus on the development of creativity, problem-solving, and higher-order thinking skills.