What Would You Do… With a Pinch Pot?

The pinch pot is such a versatile base for projects. In kindergarten, my students make pinch pot teacups. However, in 1st grade, students get a little more creative. Doing a different project with each class helps me try out new ideas.

Here are 4 ideas.

Pinch Pot Fish

Pinch Pot Rattles

Pinch Pot Turtles

Pinch Pot Bird’s Nests

This year, one of my 1st-grade groups ended up with an extra day to work with clay. I decided to get all Reggio on them and let each student make whatever they wanted out of a pinch pot. I gave them many ideas and let them go.

That was big for me to let go of the control and see what creative things could surface. I was confident that I had taught them the basic skills and could now see how they could apply those skills.

Here are some of the things the kids came up with on their own with a pinch pot as a base.

I was so impressed. Don’t be afraid to raise the bar! The kids will rise to meet your challenge!

Pinch Pot Birthday Cake

Pinch Pot Dinosaur

Pinch Pot Cat (with broken ear)

Pinch Pot Turkey-Vulture Creature (I think….)

Pinch Pot Fish (larger version)

Pinch Pot Mug Set

So….    “What do YOU do…… With a Pinch Pot?”

Jessica Balsley is the Founder and President at AOE. She is passionate about helping art teachers enhance their lives and careers through relevant professional development.