9 Easy Ways to Incorporate Writing into the Art Room

This summer, my district is putting on a Curriculum Academy for teachers. It’s a chance for teachers to get together and write curriculum in a collaborative setting, and it’s awesome. With the development of the Common Core, many teachers have become very interested in cross-curricular planning. As you may know, I LOVE cross-curricular planning, but there are some subjects that are just a better fit for the art room than others. For example, it’s very easy for me to think about connecting a social studies lesson about Native Americans to an art project than a science lesson about evaporation. Not that it can’t be done; it just takes some extra thought. (As a side note, if you’d like to learn more about cross-curricular planning, don’t forget to sign up for the AOE online conference and attend my presentation titled “Getting Started with Cross Curricular Planning.)

Last year, I challenged myself to incorporate writing into the art room to make even more connections with students’ classroom studies. I wanted to make the writing meaningful and fun for the students so that they didn’t see it as extra work. In addition to artist statements and self-evaluation writing, here are 9 more ways I had students write in the art room.

For very young, emerging writers: 

1. Students created creatures a la Eric Carle, then wrote the sounds those creatures made:

Kericcarle1 copy

2. Students created self-portraits and wrote the emotions they were showing:

Kemotions1 copy

3. I gave students a simple writing prompt they could complete with a few words, then had them do a project to go with it. (thanks pinterest!)

kglobe1 copy

For beginning writers: 

4. Students created ancient treasure maps and wrote directions from a starting point to their treasures:

1map2 copy

5. Students made story quilt paintings about their biggest dreams and wrote sentences to go with them:

2ringgold2 copy

6. Students made thank you stars to send to a local veterans hospital:

veteransnotes copy

For more advanced writers: 

7. Students created their own species of animal and then wrote about what those animals would be classified as and why:

3animal2 copy

8. Students design buildings and wrote about what the buildings were used for and who lived or worked there:

3RussianBuilding1 copy

9. Students turned personal narratives written in their classrooms into narrative comics:

4comic1 copy

So, I’d love to know, do you incorporate writing into your curriculum?

Secondary teachers, how are middle schoolers and high schoolers writing in your rooms?

Amanda Heyn

Learning Team

Amanda is the Senior Editor at AOE. She has a background in teaching elementary art and enjoys working to bring the best ideas from the world of art ed to the magazine each day.