Facebook script

3 Tips for Getting into an Organizational Mindset

Organization Mindset

Organizing can be overwhelming.  Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to get started, especially if the tasks seem daunting!  These tasks can seem less intimidating if you can make a plan and get motivated!  Since spring is upon us, here are three tips to get you into a spring-cleaning frame of mind!

1. Make a list

Everyone has their own way to make a to-do list. I make a list of everything that pops into my mind that I need to do in all aspects of my life, no matter how large or small.  After that, I decide if I need to organize by priority based on deadlines, how long the tasks will take, or break tasks down by their location.

If I were to tackle organizing my art room, I may decide to break it down by area. If I need to prep supplies for the next week, I would start with Monday OR the prep task that will take the longest. Keep in mind, it would be impossible to tackle your entire list all at once, break it down into manageable chunks! Below are two different to-do list formats that you can download.

Click to Download
Click to Download

Click to Download
Click to Download

2. Make a playlist.

Music is a powerful motivator. Boost your motivation and inspiration with some upbeat tunes. Buzzfeed has an awesome spring cleaning playlist! Songza also recommends music based on the time of day and your mood, which can be a fun way to go!

songza

3. Jump in with a Five Minute Frenzy

The idea is simple. Set a timer for five minutes and start any task. After the five minutes is up, you’ll either want to keep going or stop. Either is OK, but more often than not, you’ll be into a project!

Additionally, don’t underestimate the power of extra help!  An organization partner can help boost your motivation, and help you make hard decisions!

How do you get motivated to organize?

What is your best piece of organizing advice?

Alecia Eggers Kaczmarek

Subscriber

Alecia is an elementary art teacher in central Iowa who is passionate about teaching and reaching her students with an innovative and meaningful arts education.