The Absolute Easiest Way to Make Graphics For Your Classroom

“Would you mind making a poster for me?”

We’ve all been hunted down and asked this question at one point or another in our careers. Whether you readily say “yes” or “no” to a request like this, we have a solution for you. Presenting the online drag-and-drop design platform called Canva.

canva1

Canva allows users to easily create graphic design elements like infographics, posters and more. In fact, it’s so easy, even non-art teachers can use it (hint hint!).

So, What is Canva All About?

I recently spoke to Hannah Field who heads up the education department at Canva to get the scoop on this powerful platform. She told me that Canva has been operating for the past two years and, in that time, has already seen 28 million designs published. She also pointed out that, in the past, the realm of design was very much dominated by daunting software programs. Although the programs are powerful, they have very steep learning curves for those with less technical expertise.

Canva’s hope is to change all that. The goal is that design can be easier to grasp, especially for those who are excited about creative communication. Since so many art teachers fall into that category, it makes Canva a great resource for us to utilize.

quote canva

3 Reasons You Should Create with Canva

1: It’s free!

Yes, you read that right. No longer do you have to pay for expensive design programs that are difficult to navigate. Canva gives you access to a huge library of images, pre-designed layouts, and fonts. Plus, you can even use your own images as part of your design. You also have access to inexpensive, in-program purchases for premium design elements which you pay for only once you’re ready to publish your design.

2: The options are endless.

Once you’ve signed up for your free account, you’ll get the chance to choose from over 40 different design elements. My personal favorites for the classroom are the Marketing Materials, where you can create posters. But, I also love that you can create a design with custom dimensions. According to Hannah, “We’ve unlocked a treasure chest of more than a million images, icons, and illustrations, as well as professional design tools, that are empowering users everywhere to create and share their visual stories.”

canva2

3: It’s easy!

After you decide what you want to create, you can start dragging and dropping different design elements into your creation. It’s really easy to change anything in your design. The possibility of different fonts, colors, grids, frames, shapes, lines, illustrations, icons, photos, and charts are endless. Keep in mind the “search” icon allows you to sift through any of those elements you want. Premium design elements, which cost $1, are clearly marked with a “$” icon.

Canva is Keeping Teachers In Mind

Hannah told me that over the past two years, they have heard from hundreds of teachers that their product is an effective tool in visual, project-based learning. Whether it’s teachers utilizing their product to help create a visually-appealing environment for students to work in or whether it is students learning about the world of graphic design through their platform, Canva is well-aware of the potential for educational benefits.

Canva even has an advisory board of classroom teachers who have helped them advocate for Canva’s use in schools. It was through their advocacy that things like student-designed infographics, photo collage reflections, and visual portfolios have started to revolutionize the classroom. Hannah assured me this is only the start of what they have planned for teachers and educational institutions, so stay tuned!

After spending some time creating posters on Canva, I have some I want to share with you. Feel free to download and use them in your classroom!

Click for free download!
Click for free download!

Click for free download!
Click for free download!

In addition to creating posters, here are 5 more ways you can use Canva in the art room.

• Facilitate a design project with your students
  • Create a header for your classroom Facebook page
  • Create images for your classroom blog
  • Create invitations for your next art show
  • Create art teacher memes to use in your classroom

How do you foresee Canva being utilized in your classroom?

Have you created on Canva before? What did you think of the platform? Share your creations in the comments below!

Jennifer is an middle school art teacher in Kansas who is passionate about creating an organized, well-managed environment where students feel comfortable to learn and explore.

• Cathy Robey

Love this! Can’t wait to download and start using!

• Jane Langenfeld

I’ve used Canva for about a year and have watched their product get better and better! As a teacher, I find that it is a fast quick way to create a professional looking poster or flyer. The finished products say “this came from the art department” more than something thrown together in Word or Pages. And I love being able to use my own imagery so it looks professional but not stock image like. See my example for an art show below.
    Take a look at what I designed with Canva for iPad!
    https://www.canva.com/design/DABLtt1eVIM/5q08CmwLJ2NrV060aC5AeQ/view

I’ve also used Canva with my Graphic Design students. I taught them design basics and Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign first before letting them use Canva. Of course they thought Canva was way easier to use! With so many preset options on Canva, it can kind of become a time suck for students but I found that if I gave students time to explore Canva, then do a hand drawn design, and then allow them to build that design in Canva their work time was more focused and the end product turned out to truly show their own design knowledge instead of a cookie cutter – fill the blank – type of design. There are a few alignment glitches that required us to preview the PDF generated, go back and move an element to make it look unaligned on screen, and then generate another PDF to make sure alignment was right before printing. (We used the website version – not the app.) But hey, for a free product that my kids have access to, I’m not complaining!

• Thanks so much for these specific tips, Jane!

• K Hyman

i can’t wait to sign up and try it out…..going there NOW!

• Nyl

What are the best and cheapest ways to get these posters printed…..?

• Hi Nyl, sometimes school districts will have large-scale printing available for teachers. I would check with your secretary first!

• Pingback: Effortlessly Communicate Your High School Curriculum With These Student Handouts | The Art of Ed()

• Caitlin Grove

This is a great tool! Very easy to use. I already feel comfortable with, and inspired by, this platform after a small amount of experimenting. (and I just read this article today!) I made a banner for the top of my school art webpage.

• Pingback: 8 Steps for Organizing the Ultimate Fine Arts Night - The Art of Ed()