Advocacy

5 Simple Steps to Write a Professional Mission Statement

We’ve seen it time and time again – companies, schools and districts spend hours writing a detailed and “perfect” mission statement for their organization, just to find it gather dust in a file folder. What is the point of a mission if it’s not being followed?

Leaders need a mission. Teacher are leaders. It would only make sense for teachers to have a mission for their work. A mission is like a philosophy, but a mission is very short, under 30 words. This makes it easy to remember and uphold. Teachers as leaders in their classroom need continued motivation and rejuvenation to meet the demands of the profession. A professional mission can ground you, motivate you and help you remember why you entered the profession.

I shared my own mission of teaching in this post earlier this week.

Here are 5 simple steps to help you narrow down your core values and write a mission statement of your own.

Checklist

For example, in my own mission statement below, I have bolded my verbs and interaction words to show you how I used them in sentences. I realize my mission is a little long, yes I cheated at my own rules, but the point here is to keep it short and sweet.

As an art educator I will conduct myself with a positive attitude as a motivated leader in my field. I will recognize the whole child in each of my students and motivate them to explore the world through art. My perfect world is a place where each individual uses the gifts God gave them in a positive way.

Using these 5 simple steps, take a few moments to write your own mission of teaching. Please share your mission with me! I would love to see what inspires you in your life and profession.

Whatever your mission is, we have the resources to help you live it day in and day out. Take a look at our extensive list of courses, full library of Art Ed PRO packs, and twice-yearly online conferences. You’re sure to find something inspirational!

Jessica Balsley

Jessica Balsley is AOEU’s Founder and a former AOEU Writer and elementary art educator. She is passionate about helping art teachers enhance their lives and careers through relevant professional development.

More from Jessica