Our fearless co-hosts, Andrew and Tim, are joined by a very special guest, author Lisa Phillips. Lisa is the author of The Artistic Edge: 7 Skills Children Need to Succeed in an Increasingly Right Brain World. Some ideas from her book lead to a great talk about artistic skills, leadership skills, arts integration, and how to show everyone exactly what great things we are doing when teaching art.
Here are a few of the articles discussed and a few other gems from the Art of Ed:
- Check out some brain exercises to help teach creativity, and an article on how the arts can inspire confidence in your students.
- We had a great discussion on the chatroll about spreading the word about our art programs! Here is a helpful article, and here are some powerful images that could be useful.
- And, of course, Jessica wrote a great review of Lisa’s book.
- In addition to what Lisa said about what art can do for our kids, it’s always a good idea to revisit Elliot Eisner’s 10 Lessons the Arts Teach.
- And if you want to do more for yourself and for your students regarding creativity, think about AOE’s Creativity in Crisis class.
- You can also see some reactions to the discussion on Twitter by searching #aoelive.
Check out artofed.dev/aoelive for details on our next upcoming show!
Magazine articles and podcasts are opinions of professional education contributors and do not necessarily represent the position of the Art of Education University (AOEU) or its academic offerings. Contributors use terms in the way they are most often talked about in the scope of their educational experiences.