Facebook script

Organize Your Piles in 5 Minutes or Less!

Recently, I was getting overwhelmed by my growing collection of signs that I put up with my student’s artwork in the hallway. The signs feature important information about the displayed projects such as the image or concept that inspired the work and the grade level that completed it. I like to keep them especially if they feature a project that was successful and effective. I also make sure to get them laminated so I don’t have to waste money reprinting them a second time!

Previously, I had been keeping them in grade-level order in a giant stack, but as I was putting the most recent ones away, I kept getting frustrated trying to find the extras or slide them into the proper places.  My solution-oriented brain went straight into “SOLVE THIS NOW” mode.  I racked my brain and immediately remembered an organizing hack I’d seen: labeling binder clips.  I quickly grabbed my metallic silver Sharpie and some binder clips from my desk, and had my solution completed in less than 5 minutes.

BinderClips

I liked this solution so much that I quickly made some binder clips for my extra quantities of rubrics as well.

The benefits of keeping a metallic Sharpie on hand are endless:  labeling iPads, labeling drawing books, labeling reading books, labeling shelves – basically writing on anything that is too dark for regular Sharpie!

What’s the latest art room hack you’ve found?

How do you keep your documents and handouts organized?

Alecia Eggers Kaczmarek

Subscriber

Alecia is an elementary art teacher in central Iowa who is passionate about teaching and reaching her students with an innovative and meaningful arts education.