Classroom Management

Is Your Desk Ready for the School Year?

desk cover

There are some things that make a day feel like it is never going to end: hunger pains, allergy attacks, powerless technology. Before the school year starts, take a few minutes to check if your desk is ready to help you get through the day, no matter what it throws at you.

1. Stock The Snacks

desk snacks

There is a reason snacks are number one. Working in your room and getting hit by a case of low blood sugar munchies is no fun. Being unprepared to snack leads me running to the vending machine for pop and stale candy – yuck! Here are a few of my favorite snacks that must be stocked in my desk.

Blue Diamond Roasted Almonds: Try the dark chocolate and brown sugar and cinnamon flavors.

Ocean Spray Craisin Fruit Clusters: These leave you feeling satisfied. Plus, they are small bites you can gobble up while on the go.

Klondike Chocolate Caramels: I love these small bits of chocolate. They are big on taste but small on guilt.

PopSecret Homestyle Popcorn: A friend of mine introduced me to this a while back and now I am a huge microwave popcorn snob. The little bits of salt and the taste of butter make this my favorite after school snack.

2. Be a Personal Packrat

personal items

We spend so much time at school that it’s smart to stockpile personal products there. I know that I have made it to school more than once only to realize that I forgot deodorant or makeup in the morning rush. Taking the time before school to pack up some personal items makes those not-so-good days survivable.

Make a medicine cabinet for your desk. Consider including eye drops, Tylenol or Advil, Bandaids, chapstick, allergy medicine and safety pins. I also include deodorant, a hairbrush, ponytail holders, toothbrush, toothpaste, and slippers (for those days when you made a bad shoe choice but still have grading or cleaning up to do). I have even heard of teachers having a change of clothes in their desk… just in case.

3. Check Your Tech

tech ready

Dead iPads, phones that are out of juice, clickers that don’t click… these are the realities of teaching in the digital age. Taking a few minutes to prepare for digital emergencies will keep you calm and collected during almost any digital disaster.

Make a quick list and check to see that you have:

• Phone charger
  • iPad/iPod charger
  • AA batteries
  • AAA batteries
  • Digital camera cord

As the year goes on, we spend a lot of time in our classrooms. Our desks are definitely our personal spaces. Spending a few minutes now preparing for what the year might hold will help us be ready for what lies ahead.

Is your desk ready for the year?

What is the most surprising thing in your desk?

Jennifer Carlisle

Jennifer Carlisle, a middle school art educator, is a former AOEU Writer. She loves exploring and teaching art through both traditional and digital art mediums.

More from Jennifer