In the world of visual art, a natural balance of skills and techniques, design basics, and influential cultural and personal voices come together to create endless possibilities. This course presents the fundamental elements of art to develop a foundational understanding, including studio media explorations, elements, and principles as the building blocks of design, the significance of history and culture, and the importance of fostering creativity and authentic artistic voice. By the course end, participants with limited previous experience in visual art basics will feel confident in pursuing more integrated foundational knowledge of art education.
Note: Credits earned cannot be applied to degree program requirements. Some degree-seeking applicants may be required to take this course as a pre-requisite to enter the degree program.
- 8″ x 10″ Sketchbook (may use digital platform)
- Access to a printer
- Camera (phone cameras are sufficient)
- Computer with basic audio and video output equipment
- Internet access (broadband recommended)
- Basic computing skills (see AOEU’s Technology Requirements)
- Access to AOEU’s online learning platform, Brightspace, to view course content, submit assignments, and engage in discussion (provided)
- Your AOEU Google Drive account
- Word-processing platform (Microsoft Office, Pages, Google Docs)